Hello Guest, if you're reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second, Click here to register and in a few simple steps, you will be able to enjoy all the many features of our fine community. Please take a few minutes and introduce yourself in the section for you to meet the members of our community.
To remove these and other advertisements, become a site supporter and donate.

Thread: Engine Break-in Procedure

1. #1 Default Engine Break-in Procedure 
    Canada
    Real Name
    Mike
    Blog Entries
    New engine break-in procedure

1. Take it easy on the engine for the first two tanks

2. Heat cycle twice, run the engine for 20 minutes and let it fully cool down
    3. We recommend 91 octane fuel, mixed at 25:1 Our preffered oil is Castor 927
    4. Let your engine warm up before driving
    5. Try to vary the rpms during breaking.
    5. DO NOT HOLD FULL THROTTLE UNTIL THE ENGINE IS COMPLETELY BROKEN IN!!!
    7. Do not use octane booster

Posted in the OBR Blog.
    By Sean O'Neill

FG Leopard
    FG Monster Beetle 4x4

2. #2 Default  
    Australia
    Real Name
    David
    I don't like this Mike.
    Think Moo will dissagree also.

Australian Championship Medalist

3. #3 Default  
    United States
    I do something similar in my break ins. I figure it can't hurt and if I am running a $500+ engine, why take the possibility of having an issue.

4. #4 Default  
    Canada
    Real Name
    Mike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by allanach View Post
    I don't like this Mike.
    I do understand everyone has their own way of breaking in engines. I found this Blog at OBR and thought it would be good for anyone searching around for info about it.

FG Leopard
    FG Monster Beetle 4x4

5. #5 Default  
    Canada
    Real Name
    Julian
    Quote Originally Posted by allanach View Post
    I don't like this Mike.
    you are correct sir...
    obr and others will recommend an unnecessary break in period to cover their butts/liability/warranty etc...ask them directly and you'll find they don't do it themselves
    be a pain having to run for 2 hrs "breaking in " before being able to run it on a dyno now wouldn't it...quick heat cycle and they run them, with high load, wot, to pull the numbers
    my rational is why do something that doesn't need doing...wasting time

each to their own though...
    Last edited by mooman007uk; 05-14-2013 at 06:50 PM.

6. #6 Default  
    Canada
    Real Name
    Joe
    I run 32:1for the past 8 years on my FG's, HPI's, Harm's, Contrast, Lauterbacher,Elcon Cleon/MMX and Losi 5ive and 6ix.

Joe Selwa // 2017 Elcon Models Traxx 2WD

7. #7 Default  
    Canada
    Real Name
    Julian
    i usually run 25:1 first tank and 32:1 there after...with the synthetics you can go skinnier but for our high revving motors i stick to 32

my new weedwacker instructions said 50:1 so that's what it got, i used the little bottle that came with it...still running after over an hr hard wacking my overgrown ditch straight from the box...needs a pipe on it ...lol

8. #8 Default  
    Canada
    Real Name
    Brad
    Keep ur needles @ stock settings (check ur settings before you fire it up, don't assume the factory set the needles for you) turn up your idle slightly, put it on a stand and get the wheels off the ground and then start her up. Once started turn down your idle until shes settled into a nice calm idle and the tires aren't spinning. Then, Idle for 10 mins to get a decent ring seal. Put your rc on the ground and run it but don't hold it wide open, stick to feathering the trigger, small short bursts are okay. After ur done the first tank, have at it, your ring shoud be seated and sealed. After a few tanks start leaning the high needle in 1/16 turn increments until ur plug is brown like a paper bag(if your plug is grey you're too lean, if its black or wet you're too rich.

Run GOOD 2 stroke oil @25:1, always! 32:1 doesn't increase performance beyond placebo in most cases. Unless you're competing, stick to 25:1 and preseve a longer life span.

In some instances with mod motors you may have to deviate from the stock low needle setting to get the motor started. Ive had full mod motors that like 1-1&1/8 turns instead of 1&1/4 turns on the low needle. For the high needle however, 1&1/2 is just fine. Some people like doug @ESP recommend 2 turns on the high needle but thats so fat that some mills will just bog out from flooding or run so fat that all you'll be doing is wasting a plug by fouling it and building up oil that isn't burning off.

I've followed this method and I've had great success. I haven't fouled a plug in ages and my motors have run tight and fast. An engine builder once told me, break in happens in the first 10 minutes, once the ring is seated and the seal is formed the first tank is simply to get her greased up and ready to roll. After the first tank go to town.

I just broke in my 5ive and my stock 26 is insane, one of the guys I bash with isn't convinced that its stock. I just laughed and told him its because I know how to tune my motor. Thanks to years of bashing with Selwa, I learned a few things...

Now I spend time helping others get a good tune too.

Thread Information