Hello Guest, if you're reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second, Click here to register and in a few simple steps, you will be able to enjoy all the many features of our fine community. Please take a few minutes and introduce yourself in the section for you to meet the members of our community.
To remove these and other advertisements, become a site supporter and donate.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TGN Race Pipe

1. #1 Default TGN Race Pipe 
    TEAM GONADS RACING

Weight with mount: 2lbs 5oz / 1.048kg
    Weight without mount: 2lbs 2 5/8oz / 983g

It appears that the pipe is built with a separate header, possible pipe options in the future? With the joint there it will also help if the pipe takes a blow, it will allow the pipe to twist instead of bending. Removable aluminium silencer, nice in that in brings down the overall weight of the pipe, if needing the silencer anywhere where you have to keep on the quiet side. The raw looking finish on the pipe is well clear coated, no need in painting the pipe. But still gives you the option of painting what ever colour you like. The mounting bracket is aluminium with nice counter sunk holes for attaching to the chassis.
    With out installing the pipe I’d give it a 10 out of 10! Good work!

Installation

Installing the team gonads racing pipe onto the hpi baja, was simple took less then 5 minutes (that’s after removing the x-can). The cage does not have to come out, the pipe goes around all the tubing. I have a little worry about the bottom mount getting caught up, as it sits on the bottom of the chassis. I will be looking into making up a new mount, to try and get it off the bottom of the chassis. The pipe appears to be well protected, there does look like there is a chance it could get hit in a freak roll, but that’s the same with all pipes out now. The side of the baja is open for a hit in a racing situation, but because the pipe is a two peace design it is able to twist before bending, not a worry to me.
    With it being installed I’d give it a 8 out of 10, only because of the lower mount and the chance it could get hit in a major roll over.

Testing

I took the Baja out to an big open field for the testing. Starting the baja is a little more difficult because the chock is now behind the pipe, not a big deal. I let the baja warm up for about 5 minutes, then gave it full throttle. It was at the end of the field in no time, the only problem was I was not able to get traction the whole time. The acceleration with this pipe is amazing, you really need to roll into the throttle. Next I took the baja to some near by hills for some climbing, this is where I ended up ripping the lower mount off. One screw pulled through the aluminium and the other screw ended up falling out from lack of support. I’ve since made a new mount for the pipe, it attaches to the side of the baja using a peace of aluminium and then to a spring. This new mount has worked out good so far for me as it still allows the pipe to twist instead of bending. Top speed has defiantly increased with the TGN Race pipe, and the sound is what I’ve been wanting for a long time. It is rather loud with out the silencer on, but has a very nice sound.

Overall I would give this pipe a 9 out of 10, this is a power pipe!
    Last edited by Akela; 02-24-2007 at 11:08 PM.

2. #2 Default  
    Here is the rough mount that I made up, it still allows the pipe to twist in an impact

TGN Race Pipe

why bother! get a real pipe!

3. #3 Default  
    would you say you got more power or better sound for the $$? or was it good for both equally?

4. #4 Default  
    The power is unreal, I need more tires on hand as it takes better throtle control on my part, coming from those wimpy nitros. Where I used to think you needed real good throtle control... well I was wrong.
    The sound is also good, with the silencer I would say it is quieter than the xcan, but without it is loud. But thats the way I like it, LOUD!

5. #5 Default  
    I would love to get a pipe like this but with the amount of bashing I do I just do not think that it would hold up. I bought the x can for the protection factor alone. I love it. But on the other hand I just think that a tuned pipe looks so much better and provides alot more performance.
    You may have answered this in the above post but compared to the xcan there was still a big increase in power?
    Also what motor are you using?

6. #6 Default  
    Real Name
    Clayton
    There is a big difference. I run the X can as did Akela.. Although our motors are different (I am running a 29cc and I think he is running the 29 head kit)
    They weren't so different but the TGN pipe made the competition unfair :(

7. #7 Default  
    Oh sorry for the late (ok very late reply), I am running a 29cc head kit motor with a 14 to 1 compression button in it. The most diffrence in power is on the bottom end, its hard to keep the tires from not spinning now. On the top end I can tell that the rpm's have increased as well, it is a noticable increase but you need a big enough area to use it! I may go back to the x-can so that I'm not way over powered and can run with Mlocker.

8. #8 Default  
    Canada
    Real Name
    Mike
    Blog Entries
    hi,
    ive just ordered the tgn pipe from ddm, it will replace the x-can on my stock 23 motor(i will get a bigger motor maybe the 27.2 when the 23 dies. Its going very well so far-6 litres thru it.)

Im interested in the mount that akela has made for added strengh and protection. Could you please do a noobs guide to making the mount?
    Was there much welding involved?
    Were did you get the spring?
    Any extra info would be great.......thanks

9. #9 Default  
    I had done no welding with making this mount, this is only my version one mount I will some day get at making something alittle better.
    The mount is made up of a peace of soft aluminum bent to shape. Then the rest is the spring mount from a HPI savage, just drill 2 holes in the bent aluminum to except the hpi spring mount. (I'm sure you could you any nitro pipe mount for this, I just have a savage that was my donor) Then drill one hole in the other side of the bent aluminum to bolt it up to the buggy.
    The only problem I had was to mount the other side of the spring to the pipe, right now I just cut a slot in one of the washers and then clamped into place. I will be welding it later on (in the next few days here) The other option is to drill the bolt so that the spring could be clamped in that way, but I do have a welder and think that would be the best way of mounting it.
    All the tools I needed to build this mount was a drill and 3 bits, a vice and an angle grinder. It so far has held up to much abuse.

10. #10 Default  
    Hey Budmancan Dont worry about bash racing with the TGN pipe. I race with my all the time and its still on my Baja. As mentioned above throttle control is needed or you will destroy tires in no time

Thread Information