Hello Guest, if you're reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second, Click here to register and in a few simple steps, you will be able to enjoy all the many features of our fine community. Please take a few minutes and introduce yourself in the section for you to meet the members of our community.
To remove these and other advertisements, become a site supporter and donate.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My baja took a swim

1. #1 Default My baja took a swim 
    Yep, we were running on the beach and I wasn't fully adjusted my driving style for the grip the sand paddles offer. (I was also little drunk) Anyways I managed to drive my baja half way in to the Baltic Sea...

Goes without mentioning that the engine stalled immediatly. So I pulled the airfilter. Outer and inner filters were soaked. I put them to dry for a few hours. Then I pulled the plug and turned the car upside down. My friend kept the throttle wide open while I pulled the cord. About 30 times. Then we let it sit about an hour and a half.

My radiobox had stopped to response altogether. It was almost filled with water. We drained it from the most of the water and sprayed ____loads of wd-40 and put some compressed air in (from the inflatable mattress pump) The radiobox came to alive in 15 minutes, receiver, servos, all of it.

After the filters were dry and baja had spent about hour and a half upside down we tried to start it. Not to avail.

After that I pulled the plug and sprayed wd-40 inside the cylinder hoping that it could prevent rusting. And then we packed our things.

My baja is now sitting on my table waiting to see what I'd do.

I'd be very glad if someone could tell me how to go from here.

So far I've been thinking pulling (and dismantling) the carb and pulling the cylinder.

Any other ideas will be much appreciated.

Lead, follow, or get out of the way

2. #2 Default  
    Canada
    Real Name
    Mike
    Blog Entries
    first maybe try emptying the gas tank, fill it with fresh fuel and remove the return line from the carb. (yellow one) Then pump the primer bulb quite a bit, this should get rid of any water in the carb. Then try to fire it up. Hope this helps! Good luck!
    Mike

FG Leopard
    FG Monster Beetle 4x4

3. #3 Default  
    Good point. My friend actually told me to pull the carb and sink it in to fuel and then pump the "bubble" vigorously to remove any water there is. Don't know about his advice, but I do know that he has driven motocross over 15 years. So I'll be ready to try his idea. Couldn't hurt IMO. Also draining tank and filling it with fresh fuel is next to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by mradlin View Post
    first maybe try emptying the gas tank, fill it with fresh fuel and remove the return line from the carb. (yellow one) Then pump the primer bulb quite a bit, this should get rid of any water in the carb. Then try to fire it up. Hope this helps! Good luck!
    Mike

4. #4 Default  
    Canada
    Real Name
    Mike
    Blog Entries
    Either way it sounds like they'll do the same thing! Let us know how it goes!!

FG Leopard
    FG Monster Beetle 4x4

5. #5 Default  
    Yep, I'm willing to try anything. It was brand new engine. And it also ran very decently. Even when my needles were off the scale. Didn't had the time to tune it properly before it went submarine..

6. #6 Default  
    I'd follow what your friend said to do with the carb. This way there is no worries that water will find its way back into the motor. Pull the motor apart, cause you injested salt water! You may need new bearings in the motor.

7. #7 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Akela View Post
    I'd follow what your friend said to do with the carb. This way there is no worries that water will find its way back into the motor. Pull the motor apart, cause you injested salt water! You may need new bearings in the motor.

That's what I'm fearing now.. Bearings aren't cheap. :( Nor they're readily available in Finland.. :( I'll be taking it all apart tomorrow and see what's what. Maybe, if all look for some reason good, I'll take a spin on saturday. But that's a distant future..

8. #8 Default  
    I have no idea about the salt water thing, but when we sink snowmobiles we just clean out everything in the gas tank. Take out drain plugs in bottom of motor to drain water. Pull bottom of carb off to drain water. Pull on the starter cable a few dozen times with plugs removed. Reinstall gas and pull over motor. We try and get this done asap. Salt water I would think rust everything out quick. With lake water even after a day rust is forming.

9. #9 Default  
    Thanks for your replys. The good thing is that Baltic Sea water isn't really a sea water. It's salt consentration is much less than any real ocean. Which I think works for me.

Anyways, tomorow I'll put the engine into pieces and see what's happened.

10. #10 Default  
    runwreckrepair Guest
    Dont forget the little things like the "stop" button, could have got water in there, as well

Thread Information