Hello Guest, if you're reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second, Click here to register and in a few simple steps, you will be able to enjoy all the many features of our fine community. Please take a few minutes and introduce yourself in the section for you to meet the members of our community.
To remove these and other advertisements, become a site supporter and donate.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warms Up And Quits

1. #1 Default Warms Up And Quits 
    I Just Took My New 5b Out Of The Box.fuel Mixture 25-1,took Off Tail Pipe.ran About 5 Minutes Then Just Quit,after Pulling Forever It Started But Shut Off Like It's Outa Gas.we Were Checking It Out Plug Was Good Everything Looked Ok After It Cooled Down It Started But Very Hard.it Warmed Up And Quit We Pulled And Pulled We Choked It And It Tried To Start,turned The Choke Off And It Starts But Quits.has Good Compression.when It Warms Up And Quits If You Choke It You Can Pull It About 5 Times And Turn Of The Choke And It Starts With Some Throttle But Dies Within A Minute

2. #2 Default  
    Real Name
    Clayton
    Have you checked your needle settings with the manual and have you checked that your throttle linkage is correctly adjusted, often from factory they come unadjusted.

Clayton
    Vertigo Performance

http://5thscaleracing.com/vb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117807681  9
    Vertigo Easy Access Clutch Unit, The absolute quickest way to access the HPI Baja clutch.

3. #3 Default  
    Yep Checked Everything The Book Says.i Race 1/4 Scales And Never Had Problems Like This

4. #4 Default  
    That could be air leak somewhere. When I first started my new 28.5 it developed similar symptoms. Find out that cylinder bolts had come loose. Or they weren't tight in the first place. No biggie, new gasket and thightening the bolts helped.

Lead, follow, or get out of the way

5. #5 Default  
    runwreckrepair Guest
    Hi Iceman

Got my new Baja last week and had exactly the same problems until i was told the best starting sequence.

Try this (first take out plug and clean it and remove any excess full from the pot)

Press the primer bulb 3 times
    Put choke ON, that is vertical position
    Pull starter 3 times, engine should cough
    Take choke off, that is horizontal position
    Pull starter again, if engine doesnt start then use controller and open throttle, maybe half way, and then try pulling again.

This should then start the engine.
    Must admit i think i was getting the choke in the wrong position and i was pulling for hours and now have one arm like Arnie S.

If the above doesnt work then check you are getting a good clean blue spark to the plug

Hope this helps you, it certainly helped me get my running and it is awesome !!!

Cheers

6. #6 Default  
    runwreckrepair Guest
    just another quick thought, i also screwed in the idle screw, thats the one thats hard to get to behind the roll ball.

Don't know why that should help but it did and once started i then adjusted the screw out

Cheers

7. #7 Default  
    Have you made sure all the bolts are tight? The cylinder bolts, carb bolts and made sure spark plug is snug? It sounds like its losing too much compresion when it heats up.

8. #8 Default  
    I'm starting to think along the lines of Akela. Once warmed up everything is starting to expand and contract and something is going out of whack. Do you still have lots of compression once the engine has ran for little bit? You say in one of the posts that you have lots of compression, how did you check? Is it the same after it stalls? I'm buffaloed, would like to see answer on this one.
    As I'm typing had a brain fart, is the carb clean no burrs or anything that can get in the wa after a little run time, maybe once it ges a little heat it is able to move. Like I said long shot but who knows?

9. #9 Default  
    runwreckrepair Guest
    Went to my rc club yesterday and told them about my probs with starting.

5 of my buddies had purchased baja's all at the same time about 6 months ago and all 5 had the same probs in the initial starting.

It appears that all 5 had misunderstood the correct position of the choke level i.e. when it is on (vert) and when it is off (horz)

Must admit that most of my petrol brush cutters and lawnmowers say to start on choke and then turn off choke once the engine is up and running.

Must increase our medication here in the UK

10. #10 Default  
    it sounds like its starved of gas when it dies? open up the carb (top 4 bolts and 1 bottom bolt) and check for debris. on my first baja the black rubbery gasket behind the air filter was not lined up right and every time i choked it it ground up part of the gasket and clogged my carb. i would also check the black fule line for any leaks and watch it when you get it started, see if it is collapsing from suction.

Thread Information