Hello Guest, if you're reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second, Click here to register and in a few simple steps, you will be able to enjoy all the many features of our fine community. Please take a few minutes and introduce yourself in the section for you to meet the members of our community.
To remove these and other advertisements, become a site supporter and donate.

Thread: Any break-in required?

1. #1 Default Any break-in required? 
    As the title suggests, I am a veteran of Nitro R/C, but new to 1/5th scale. Is there any "break-in" required as with Nitros? I read the sticky thread on things to do before I start it up, but was wondering what the differences are between nitro and gas, as far as engine maintenance and operating styles.

Thanks for the help.

2. #2 Default  
    Real Name
    Clayton
    Nitro engines are precision machines with tapered heads.
    These engines are much less precise, run at 3 - 4 times lower RPM

Some say putter around for a tank of fuel, I just drove mine and after several gallons it still runs, still has good power and I guess you could consider when was the last time you broke in a weedeater or lawn mower.

Clayton
    Vertigo Performance

http://5thscaleracing.com/vb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117807681  9
    Vertigo Easy Access Clutch Unit, The absolute quickest way to access the HPI Baja clutch.

3. #3 Default  
    I was kinda thinking along the lines of a weed wacker or lawn mower too, but with a $1,000 investment I wanted to make sure. Thanks for the quick reply.

4. #4 Default  
    Real Name
    Clayton
    A new engine is $89.00 and that is for a 29cc upgrade (head, piston, crank) if you waste your engine early it is a good excuse to upgrade to a 29 :p

http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product701.html

Any break-in required?

This with the X can or HPI pipe kiss (Yes Mradlin I did mean kick LOL!!) ASS over the stock engine

Clayton
    Vertigo Performance

http://5thscaleracing.com/vb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117807681  9
    Vertigo Easy Access Clutch Unit, The absolute quickest way to access the HPI Baja clutch.

5. #5 Default  
    Canada
    Real Name
    Mike
    Blog Entries
    I think he means Kick ass! LOL!! But to break in these engine's I just drive them without going too hard on wide open, for about a tank or two if you want to play it safe.
    Last edited by mradlin; 06-17-2007 at 06:20 PM.

FG Leopard
    FG Monster Beetle 4x4

6. #6 Default  
    By breaking in these motors you will find that you will get a bit more life out of them. But could only be a gallon more of fuel through them, on the stock motor I would not worry about the break in part. But funny thing is if you go by the book, it is recomened to change the ring after 10 hours of use... Now who is going to do this, unless they are racing at a high level?

Thread Information