Hello Guest, if you're reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second, Click here to register and in a few simple steps, you will be able to enjoy all the many features of our fine community. Please take a few minutes and introduce yourself in the section for you to meet the members of our community.
To remove these and other advertisements, become a site supporter and donate.

Thread: new vertigo performance upgrade brakes

1. #1 Default new vertigo performance upgrade brakes 
    i have just recived today the new vertigo perfomance upgrade brakes (not yet in shops)

first impresions : good looking product, and looks nicely made (basicly what weve grown to expect from a compeny like VP) eaven though its a pre production unit

fitment: very easy to fit without modification to any of the stock baja parts, i had them fitted in 12 min

first run : wow ....... lol the diffrence is well, night and day from the stock set up. my stock set up would gently slow the car down to a stop. its eaven a large improvement over the current vp brake set up (carbon pads)
    this new kit will lock the rear no matter what surface no matter what speed
    it also gives a very good feel to the brakes so you are able to stop very quickly without a lock up (and enivitable spin lol)

the test: my test is a little primitive i know but it seamed pritty acurate lol
    the test is where you get up to ful speed then see how long it then takes you to slow down to a stop.

first the stock set up. in a word terrible, takeing 5.7 seconds to slow to a stop

2nd the current vp kit. a big diffrence over the stock, takeing 2.8 seconds

and last the new set up and to be honest i diddent think that it would be that much better than the old kit. i was wrong it managed to stop my baja in 0.97 seconds :eek: how does it do it? witchcraft im sure of it lol it defiys the laws of pysics

i love this new kit and i will satisfy all my needs. they may not be the right choice for an inexpereanced racer though as they have alot of bite and if not put on progresivly will lock up.

so here are the scores

build quality 10/10
    design 9/10
    braking effectivness 9/10 (just bite a little to hard sometimes)

would i recomend them ??? definatly best brakes ive had

THE ALIENS ARE TALKING TO ME THROUGH MY VERTIGO PARTS ! ! ! !

2. #2 Default  
    0.97 seconds??!! Dude... That's something! I know that baja's original brakes are nothing more than symbolic.. But less than a second!??

On which surface you was driving? Can you tell me your baja's top speed? I'm asking since I'm decent in maths so I can give you some G-figures. Unless you havent done those already? I'm not doubting anything. Just like to do the math about the slowing down.

Do you have much aluminium parts on your baja? How much fuel did you have in while testing? Trying just to figure out how much your baja was weighing. What kind of tyres you were using?

I can even do the math about how much those brakes have to dissipate heat to slow down baja.. (that will be surpricingly lot.. ) Everything is energy..

But anyways, if your figures are accurate, they'll be impressive on any surface and with any tyres.

-Carnivore

3. #3 Default  
    i was running on quite long grass with stock tyres

when i did the brake tests there was about 1/3 of a tank of fuel in there

my baja runs with every part vertigo perfomance make for it (full cf kit, old style axial extenders) ummm. aloy front shock tower (b&t coustom creations one)

i have only done a speed test with my baja running my modded jetpro (bit exposed so i dont use it that often)
    and that got up to 58 mph
    when i was testing the brakes i was useing an x-can so i dont know the top speed but rough guess (gaugeing the diffrence between jp and x-can) 47 mph

anything else you want to know? i would love to know the Gs this thing is pulling

4. #4 Default  
    Canada
    Real Name
    Mike
    Blog Entries
    I have also been testing these brakes for a while now. Fergus has hit it right on the head. These "new" brakes will be a great addition to any baja!!

FG Leopard
    FG Monster Beetle 4x4

5. #5 Default  
    Ok,

Sorry for not replying any faster. I was involved in rather heavy partying last weekend and yesterday and today have been hectic at work. I'm also a little drunk now since I'm going to see my friends at local pub in a half an hour. So I decided to start a little early with a very dry white wine called vodka..

So, don't shoot me if you find these numbers inaccurate or wrong.. But please do correct them if you find something I missed or f'd up.

47 mph -> 77.2686 km/h -> 77268/3600 -> 21.46m/s

Since E(kinetic) = 1/2mv^2

we get

0.5*9.5*21.46^2 = 2187.5J

That's baja's kinetic energy while WOT.

And because Joule is also known as watt second we get:

2187.5*0.97 = 2121.9W

of heat dissipated during braking from WOT to 0.

I didn't know your baja's weight, so I put 9.5Kg there.

Acceleration while braking:

a = (delta)V/(delta)t

So if the baja stopped at 0.97s, negative accel. during braking:

(0-21.46)/0.97 = -22.12m/s2

Since we know that G is approx 9.81m/s2

we get -2.26G's !! On grass!! :eek: wtf??!

If I got my calculations at least somewhat right, that's awesome! (these formula's are all from memory..)

I didn't take friction between a grass and tyres in consideration, since it varies during the braking as car bounces etc. As a matter of fact, the friction coefficient should be some ungodly figure to allow this kind of braking! So if your front tyres didn't make a two nice and deep grooves through the grass to terra firma beneath, (then there's some cutting forces involved) I don't know what to say... Maybe you hit something?

As a reference, Formula 1 car pulls about 4.5G's in max braking.

Stopping distance can be calculated from average speed during the braking.

Speed(avg) = 21.46/2 -> 10.73m/s

Since we know the time that it takes to stop the baja we get:

0.97 = (s/10.73) -> 10.4m as a stopping distance. Does that sound about right?

Personally I find these figures hard to believe, especially when done on grass, but if your given speed and stopping time are correct, it should happen as described above.

If you're doing any future brake tests, and if youre driving on some other surface than grass, try to measure the stopping distance rather than time? (skid marks are rather easy to measure) I don't know how you measured the stopping time so accurately, (?) but I have gut feeling that measuring the distance could be more easy and accurate. Also accurate top speed would help.

As you said it yourself those figures almost defy laws of physics. I'd love to see some more tests and test figures about these brakes.

6. #6 Default  
    the distance you stated does sound about right

there will of been quite a bit of resistance that should be taken into acount from the quite long grass i was running on at the time (came up to about the wheel nuts)

the method of timeing was a stopwatch but the test was done 5 times then advaraged

oh and btw these brakes work the rear not the front, the current front tire is useless at slowing the car down due to the tred. it will just lock up (as proved by the people running modded fg disc brakes on the front)
    the front is also to light eaven with weight transfer to get any kind of grip eaven if there was better tred

i i am able to i will try and get you some better figures for top speed and decel time / distance, also an acurate weight of the baja

7. #7 Default  
    My trip to local pub was short lived. One friend was a no-show and other one was too hungry to drink more than one beer.. Went home. Those dudes are getting too old...

Quote Originally Posted by fergus View Post
    the distance you stated does sound about right

there will of been quite a bit of resistance that should be taken into acount from the quite long grass i was running on at the time (came up to about the wheel nuts)
    Ok, that explains some of the results. That long grass should though drop baja's top speed. Even though I don't know what kind of monster you're driving.

the method of timeing was a stopwatch but the test was done 5 times then advaraged
    That's a good info too. Gives more accuracy.

oh and btw these brakes work the rear not the front, the current front tire is useless at slowing the car down due to the tred. it will just lock up (as proved by the people running modded fg disc brakes on the front)
    the front is also to light eaven with weight transfer to get any kind of grip eaven if there was better tred
    Whoa! That's even more impressive! :eek: When I saw those figures I automatically assumed that those are front and rear brakes working together..

I agree with the front tire tread. It's useless for nothing more than occasionally turning baja's direction. Front being light, I'll take your word for it, since I haven't tried any kind of front brakes on baja.

i i am able to i will try and get you some better figures for top speed and decel time / distance, also an acurate weight of the baja
    That's nice! Also take a vid cam with you.. If nothing more, VP can put the video out as an advertisement..

8. #8 Default  
    Canada
    Real Name
    Mike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
    My trip to local pub was short lived. One friend was a no-show and other one was too hungry to drink more than one beer.. Went home. Those dudes are getting too old...
    LMAO!!! Aren't we all?!

FG Leopard
    FG Monster Beetle 4x4

Thread Information