Hello Guest, if you're reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second, Click here to register and in a few simple steps, you will be able to enjoy all the many features of our fine community. Please take a few minutes and introduce yourself in the section for you to meet the members of our community.
To remove these and other advertisements, become a site supporter and donate.

Thread: Gear ratios

1. #1 Default Gear ratios 
    Anybody using the new gear ratios from HPI? If so what are you using? Thinking of getting some more top speed. Have lots of grunt with the 29 but it tops out to quick.

2. #2 Default  
    Real Name
    Clayton
    Akela and I have been running the 18 tooth for months and there is a difference but how much is difficult to tell

Clayton
    Vertigo Performance

http://5thscaleracing.com/vb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117807681  9
    Vertigo Easy Access Clutch Unit, The absolute quickest way to access the HPI Baja clutch.

3. #3 Default  
    I'd have to say it all depends where your running. On the track that Mlocker and I used to run at. The stock gearing worked best, I even think that if I were to use the 16 tooth there that laps times would have been even better. But if your out running in a wide open pit, the 18 tooth may be better. It is also dependent on how much traction you have, if you can't make traction the 18 tooth is going to be best all around.

4. #4 Default gear ratios 
    I have read almost all of the post on here and just thinking:eek: :eek: about all of the talk about a 2 speed. What if you just used smaller gear ratio. I now that the engines in some of the boats I have make about 18000 RPMs and they have about 6.5HP so they should be able to run bigger gears. I run a 80mm prop and it is a 1 to 1 drive. I think you could get a ton more speed out of the 23cc and if you are running the 30.5 you should be able to turn the wheels at about 3 to 1 with no problem. I bet if some one could find the gears and try it it would work out good. Just my 2 cents
    What do you all think. By the way the boats mostly run on G260 engines and are water cooled.
    Mike

5. #5 Default  
    Real Name
    Clayton
    These run 8:1 Most buggies small or large, gas nitro or electric all run around 8-9:1

I think 3:1 it would be a slug off the line plus the short gear ratio would be hard to overcome with the torque the engines have..

The only way I can see running a 3:1 would be using a 2 speed to get the thing up and running first.. (my 2 cents Canadian)(2.14 cents usd)

Clayton
    Vertigo Performance

http://5thscaleracing.com/vb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117807681  9
    Vertigo Easy Access Clutch Unit, The absolute quickest way to access the HPI Baja clutch.

6. #6 Default  
    What kind of power are the stock engines making? do any of you know where to get the gears to try and see what happens?
    Thanks a lot
    Mike

7. #7 Default  
    Real Name
    Clayton
    Stock about 2.2hp I ran a 29cc so a bit more power.
    You can get different pinions only 16 and 18t
    The buggy is still considered new when it comes to after market.

Clayton
    Vertigo Performance

8. #8 Default  
    last night i ran my second baja , its running stock 17t pinion with stock 57steel spur , and its pretty damn fast and does power launch wheelies every time on command , but my motor is a TS crankcase induction with +2mm stuffed crank and 35mm raceported head with TGN pipe . i have ran the 18t pinion on it and the speed increase is about 1kmh more , its very close . but my engine is so powerfull the pinion gear ratios doesnt really make any differance to overall speed , when you have a powerfull engine like mine acceleration is what makes the differance . i used to run a 19/55 combo and it was very fast at getting to top speed but then died cos it had no long distance acceleration .

Thread Information