Hello Guest, if you're reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second, Click here to register and in a few simple steps, you will be able to enjoy all the many features of our fine community. Please take a few minutes and introduce yourself in the section for you to meet the members of our community.
To remove these and other advertisements, become a site supporter and donate.

Thread: RC4WD upgrade Baja shocks...first impressions

1. #1 Default RC4WD upgrade Baja shocks...first impressions 
    monotheist is offline Monotheist is the belief in the existence of one deity or God
    This isn’t a review as I have not yet had the chance to run them yet but more of a first impressions rant. I am one of many who have been waiting for what seems like an eternity for someone to manufacture a solution to the shaft bending issue. It seems like 8/10 times I take the Baja to our local race track I come home with a bent shock shaft (typically the rear). It has really given the Baja a bad rep. at the club as even though they are impressed with it they are they still think the shocks are a major flaw in the design. Hell even some of the 3kg 1/8 nitro’s have thicker shafts in their shocks!

So anyway I was very surprised to see RC4WD come out of what seems like nowhere and offer (hopefully) a solution to my bending woes.

My first words was WOW there freaking huge! The overall quality of these shocks is outstanding and appear to be engineered to take any abuse you could throw at them. Fit and finish is also very good but have to say I didn’t like the purple at all and would have much preferred them if they were all gun metal grey like the lower pieces.

RC4WD upgrade Baja shocks...first impressions

My only disappointment so far is that the spring rate adjusters didn’t come with an o-ring even though the groove is there. Luckily I had some spare o-rings which I fitted so was good to go.

As you know these shocks do away with the “hyper adjust” system which is just fine by me as I never really liked it much and saw it as just another thing to go wrong so am happy with the minimalist approach here. Besides you can still tune the dampening using different shock oil but for the time being I am just using the stock 20w HPI oil as im guessing that was what they were designed for.

The bottom part of the shock is quite different to the stockers in that the inner part is a solid piece of some sort of plastic material which is pressed into the alloy so no more foam washers or upper vent holes. The end is still sealed with dual o-rings just like the original.

Original on the left (split in 2) RC4WD on the right

The 2 end pieces are a real work of art but make sure you apply thread lock to the threadded ball end piece

I thought the shock cylinder was a standard HPI part but it is not and even the springs appear to be different. Check out the difference in shaft diameter!

Filling was surprisingly simple. I filled from the top to almost full, pumped a few times and slowly pushed down on the shaft while screwing on the top bleeding them slightly.

All ready to go...notice the absence of purple!

Old on the left, RC4WD on the right

Oh and yes these do weigh more than the stock shocks 160g for the rear (compared to 134g for the stock shock) and 124g for the front (compared to 102g for the stock shock) so all up your just shy of 100g of additional weight.

I will be testing these on the w/e so will let you know how they perform on the track.

2. #2 Default  
    Canada
    Real Name
    Mike
    Blog Entries
    Nice write up Monothiest! I'm waiting for my shocks to show up to do a review also. Let us all know how they hold up!!

FG Leopard
    FG Monster Beetle 4x4

3. #3 Default  
    Looks Good, I am concerned about the E-clips that hold the pistons on I would have prefered to see the same style of piston mounting like the Phatdads have. Same system that works well on 1/8th scale.

Ken

Post rewview as soon as possible!!!

4. #4 Default  
    Canada
    Real Name
    Mike
    Blog Entries

FG Leopard
    FG Monster Beetle 4x4

5. #5 Default  
    Can spare parts such as shock shafts be Purchaced for these shocks. It would be useless to purchace them without parts available.

Ken

6. #6 Default  
    Canada
    Real Name
    Mike
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure they'll have parts available. Here's thier website http://www.rc4wdstore.com/ You can always ask them directly.

FG Leopard
    FG Monster Beetle 4x4

7. #7 Default  
    rc4wd Guest
    Yes, feel free to contact us at rcrock(at)gmail.com if you have any questions.

We expect to have more replacement parts made soon, they will be available for sale at TGN.

Thread Information