Hello Guest, if you're reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second, Click here to register and in a few simple steps, you will be able to enjoy all the many features of our fine community. Please take a few minutes and introduce yourself in the section for you to meet the members of our community.
To remove these and other advertisements, become a site supporter and donate.

Thread: Differential maintenance

1. #1 Default Differential maintenance 
    Real Name
    Clayton
    I serviced my diff after the first tank and filled half way and worked the oil in.
    After several gallons of fuel I took it apart last night .
    Although there were no visible leaks (And my diff case was fully intact) the oil inside was minimal and very black.

Many suspect that HPI doesn't put enough oil in their diffs from the factory.
    From the factory I think they fill them half way bit after turning the gears and all the little crevices getting oil it looks like a skim.

The gears were near new looking.. I cleaned them all up, reinstalled, added 5,000wt (had no 1,000) and she is all ready to go.

I did notice the tranny case had some sand in it, this apparently is getting in at the top end seal so although the upper shaft is a floating shaft I reinstalled the shaft seal, added a bearing and reassembled.

More to come in 6 months when I take my diff apart again (unless I break something)

Clayton
    Vertigo Performance

http://5thscaleracing.com/vb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117807681  9
    Vertigo Easy Access Clutch Unit, The absolute quickest way to access the HPI Baja clutch.

2. #2 Default  
    Real Name
    Matt
    when I blew my first diff(lack of fluid from factory) Hpi sent me 2 complete diffs, I installed 1 in the car and kept the other as a spare in my box,wel l Iwas bored yesterday and wanted too see if that spare diff had any fluid in it(I know the other didn't) and this one was dry zero fluid at all:eek: and the bolts were red loctited and I ended up cutting 1 bolt head off just to open it up.....Not cool, luckily I have 10 of the rubber gaskets, I filled the diff back up with AE 10k wieght oil...but I could not beilve it came from the factory like this as a "drop in part"

3. #3 Default  
    Real Name
    Clayton
    I wonder if it isn't a drop in part.. Does it come with oil in the package?
    If it isn't why would it be loctited?? and why do they use red loctite?

Is there someone from HPI reading this??? BLUE BLUE loctite

Clayton
    Vertigo Performance

http://5thscaleracing.com/vb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117807681  9
    Vertigo Easy Access Clutch Unit, The absolute quickest way to access the HPI Baja clutch.

4. #4 Default  
    Real Name
    Matt
    No it did not come with any diff lube only a small tube of heavy duty gease to lub the inside of the gearbox...

5. #5 Default  
    Real Name
    Clayton
    Buggers LOL!! We will get them straightened out!

Clayton
    Vertigo Performance

6. #6 Default  
    Real Name
    Matt
    why they used red loctite is beyond me, I could barely get those bolts out and I had to cut 1 like I said....This shouldn't be this way from a factory if you should be able repair easily:(

7. #7 Default  
    Real Name
    Clayton
    I had that issue with 2 diffs, I had to destroy them to get the diff bearings off and do maintenance.

Clayton
    Vertigo Performance

Thread Information