Hello Guest, if you're reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second, Click here to register and in a few simple steps, you will be able to enjoy all the many features of our fine community. Please take a few minutes and introduce yourself in the section for you to meet the members of our community.
To remove these and other advertisements, become a site supporter and donate.

Thread: Baja Outdrives Maintenance

1. #1 Default Baja Outdrives Maintenance 
    Real Name
    Clayton
    Out drive maintenance

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On my second outing I broke an out drive, snapped it nice.
    * Turns out there was a 3mm spacer in the hub shaft that didn't belong causing binding in the Dog bone*
    When I tried to remove the diff shaft there was so much loctite used to retain the cross pin and I couldn't get the pin out so I solved the issue and decided to post it here to save everyone else the grief.

I will start with the diff assembly already apart because even a blind monkey could manage that much.

- Remove pin retaining screw that is in the end of the out drive shaft.
    - Remove silver screw on the outside of the case
    - Try and remove the pin while keeping some inward pressure on the outdrive (Other wise it has resistance from the viscous plate)
    - If it doesn't move you will need to drill a 2.5mm (.1") hole in the opposing corner of the housing exactly halfway between the higher part of the case and the lower lip.

If you put it too low you can drill into the viscous plate and too high you wont have allot of meat when you put a 3x4mm set screw in the hole.
    - Once you have drilled the hole using a drill press you can bang the pin out using a punch (I used a cut off allen key that came in the kit since I didn't need it.
    - Add a dab of Shoo Goo to the set screw and install with the tip of the screw just showing inside the case, if you put it in too far it will fill one of the notches in the case which gets the diff fluid moving, I am sure it is not a big deal but I have OCD and wanted it done right LOL!!! j/k
    - Ream out the pin hole in the shaft to get all the loctite out of it and be sure the pin moves freely before reinstalling.
    - To reinstall pin retaining screw I used Blue loctite near the head of the screw making sure it seated ok and didnt seep down to the pin, I am NOT recommending blue loctite over the red they have installed. I just prefer to use blue.

*side note*
    In the case below the viscous plate is a 10x15x4 metal bushing which when I get some back in stock will replace with 10x15x4 bearings.

One other thing, check all the bearings. My large bearings were very gritty and seem to have smoothed out, the 10x15x4 bearings in the outer case (inside the larger bearing and which the shaft rides on) are chunky.

I hope this helps and if not is was fun practicing my typing skills

I LOVE THIS THING!!!

Clayton

2. #2 Default  
    Out drive maint? Dude :eek: I drive it tell it breaks then I mantain it

My Baja is faster than yours

3. #3 Default  
    Real Name
    Clayton
    You get parts cheaper than the rest of us (Bastage)

Clayton
    Vertigo Performance

http://5thscaleracing.com/vb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117807681  9
    Vertigo Easy Access Clutch Unit, The absolute quickest way to access the HPI Baja clutch.

4. #4 Default  
    i only broke an outdrive once on my 5b cos i was jumping it hard , it snapped in half , the dogbone shot upwards and broke aswell and got jammed in the springs

5. #5 Default  
    Canada
    Real Name
    Mike
    Blog Entries
    That sounds like my motto....If your gonna break it, do it right! LOL!

FG Leopard
    FG Monster Beetle 4x4

Thread Information